Tuesday 18 November 2008

Wobble

Most of my blog posts so far - in fact, all of them - have been very positive, but today I'm feeling a bit wobbly. Literally. I've lost four stone, I'm ahead of target as far as clothes sizes are concerned, I'm wearing things I actually like (well, not right now - I'm in my gym kit!), physically I feel really good and I'm getting compliments everywhere I go - but I feel a bit weird about it. We're warned on this diet that our brains might take a while to catch up with our bodies, meaning we'll find it hard to see that we've actually lost weight, but I thought I was a little more rational than that. Apparently not. When I look at photos of myself I can see a difference, but when I look in the mirror, I find it hard to see where that four stone has gone. I hope my brain catches up soon as it's making me feel very insecure and critical of myself. What can I do to help with this? It would be useful, perhaps, if I saw someone I hadn't seen since starting the diet, but I can't think of anyone. Also, I shouldn't have to rely on other people to hammer the point home - it ought to come from me. Perhaps I should also get back into the habit of having pictures taken every few weeks and posting them on Facebook. But again, that wouldn't just be for my own benefit - does that matter? What else would help... a giant cardboard cut-out of me pre-diet? Plastercasts of my body made every few weeks? A lobotomy? Aaargh, this is HARD!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Something like this project (but better executed) might be useful? So you are not looking at your own shape, but at someone else of the same height and weight?

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.shtml

Anonymous said...

Bring back the photos Bella - they obviously help you and we like to see them.
PS You DO look incredible and there is a massive difference. But no one can actually properly see their own weight loss as it seems so gradual when you look in the mirror every day.
Your body has totally changed shape, you have killer cheekbones and a teeny weeny little waist. And I actually saw you wearing leggings in recent pics - amazing! You never would have before.
Just think about that size 12 dress. The stats speak for themselves.
Lots of love,
Wardo

sigje said...

Dude.. More pictures please. It's inspiring.

You have changed _dramatically_. I think if you were to stop looking in the mirror for a couple weeks, that might help .. you'd see the big changes. As anonymous previous mentioned, you can't see the slight changes. That is why gaining weight can be so easy as we don't notice the little changes.

It was amazing seeing the full length pictures. You look incredible!

Anonymous said...

Hi Isobel. That sounds a lot like something I used to experience loads when I was losing weight, and still do to be honest. Am a size 8 but I see a chubby chick in the mirror - I've had to a) use logic, will-power and good friends to crush the feelings and b) avoid looking in mirrors when I'm in a wobbly mood.

Our experiences of weight-loss are very different; I still have body dysmorphia (curses) whereas it sounds like this is transitionary for you - however I think I can say with authority 'Boo! That SUCKS!' - I do hope it gets better for you quickly; please feel free to contact me if you want to talk to someone who has a longstanding hatred of lying mirrors.

Lu xx

Anonymous said...

Come to Sarah and Ben's christmas party...they haven't seen you.
xxx