Monday 11 August 2008

"BLOG! BLOG LIKE THE WIND!!!"

These are the words my slightly eccentric friend Daniel shouted, at the top of his voice (and believe me, that's fucking loud) when I said goodbye to him an hour or so ago in the middle of Soho. People stared. People crossed the road to avoid him. So, to prevent any further public humiliation, blog I shall. It actually feels really good to write down how I'm feeling, as it's been a tough day. Work itself was fine, and I was amazed by how enthusiastic and interested everyone seemed when they realised I was doing this diet. One particularly nice workmate (hello Kay!) even came to the kitchen with me because she wanted to watch me mixing up one of my shakes!

I did flag throughout the day, and felt particularly rubbish mid-morning and then mid-afternoon, but generally it was OK, and some people even commented that my skin looks better already. I've noticed this too, I think, but it's probably more to do with the fact that I haven't been drunk for, ooh, six days, than anything food-related.

Anyway, the tough point came this evening, when I went to a colleague's book launch (Jo Carnegie, who's written a bonkbuster called Country Pursuits, if you're interested). I was in two minds about going as it seemed a bit foolish to put myself in a social situation - and not just any social situation, but one with free booze! - so early on in this diet, especially as everyone says that Day 3 is the toughest. But, I went along anyway, and did indeed find it really hard. Reassuringly, though, it wasn't the not eating/drinking that felt difficult - I can honestly say I had no desire to grab a flute of champagne, even though it was being thrust in my face every few minutes. It was more that I felt overwhelmed by all the people, which is really unusual for me, as I'm generally to be found chattering away in the middle of things. I think it was probably just because at the moment I feel weak, hungry and a bit lightheaded, but I really struggled and felt like I needed to get out of there quick. I even found it hard to find the energy to chat with my friends Jordan and Charlotte, and they are officially two of the most talkative people in the western world.

Still, I suppose I passed the test (not succumbing to food or drink, and so early on too), so perhaps I should feel pleased with myself. But it's put me off from saying yes to any similar invitations in the next couple of weeks. If I'm going to be sociable, I think it should be in small groups, not big boozy schmoozy scenarios. I always knew that the social side of my life would be the hardest part of all this, what with it revolving around food and drink. But at least I tried! It has spurred me on to try and come up with a list of fun things I can do in the next three months that have nothing to do with eating. Perhaps I can even become a bit cultured. Let me know if you have any suggestions...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am utterly, utterly in awe at your amazing will-power skills. I wouldn't be able to do it, but am in no doubt that you can! Good luck, and if you need a place to unload those too big clothes to when you're done then you know where I am! Rachel xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so going to teach you how to knit xxx

Anonymous said...

We should start a book group! And then we can just sit around talking about romance and drinking tea or hot water or whatever. With moist loins.

Elizabeth UpYours