Sunday 31 August 2008

Incident at Blockbuster

So, I just went to the video shop (do we still call them that?) for some Sunday afternoon entertainment (I got Lars & The Real Girl, Happy Go Lucky and the probably quite dreadful My Sassy Girl, DVD rental fact fans. Starving people watch a lot of films. Well, apart from the ones in Africa...) and this happened:

Blockbuster Lady: "You get a free bag of popcorn with those."
Isabel: "Oh, I don't want one."
Blockbuster Lady: "But it's free!"
Isabel: "No no, I don't want it, thanks."
Blockbuster Lady: "It's free!"
Isabel: "I DON'T LIKE POPCORN." [clearly a massive lie. I bloody love the stuff, especially the sticky, eye-wateringly sweet, bagged kind that she was offering]
Blockbuster Lady: "OK, but I have to scan it anyway. Are you sure?"
Isabel: "I DON'T WANT IT. YOU KEEP IT!"
[silence]

She must have thought I was fucking rude but I do think this is a good example of how junk food is pretty much forced upon us all the time. Incidentally, I think this is the first time I've been in a free food situation (away from people's houses, I mean) since starting this diet, but I'm sure it won't be the last. Being a wanky media type, free food and booze are pretty much on tap seven nights a week if I chose to live that way. I've deliberately stayed away from those kinds of events recently, but I think I'll have one in a couple of weeks when I go to the opening of Lucky Voice in Islington (bollocks to shyness, I'll do karaoke sober). And then there's the company awards thing in October, which I'm already a bit concerned about (massive sit-down meal and free wine and champagne all night) but I've already arranged a plan with some greedy boys who'll eat my food, so it should be OK. But still, this is all quite stressful! I don't mind telling people I know about this diet (in fact, everyone is weirdly fascinated by it) but I don't want to have to explain it to strangers.

Right, I'm going to watch those films now with not a kernel of popcorn in sight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing Lucky Voice tonight. I'll let you know what it's like (obv will be AMAZING!) x

Anonymous said...

I got free roast potatoes in Sainsbury's on Sat!

Anonymous said...

Fuck's Lucky Voice? For future reference, you thank the nice lady for the free stuff and put it in a bin outside. Or send it to Africa. They don't watch the films but they might enjoy the stickiness and eye-watering sweetness of the foodstuff. If not, it's still food, innit. Beggars etc.