Wednesday 13 August 2008

Why Facebook is evil

Normally Facebook acts as a catalogue of romantic disasters and fairweather friendships, but now it's taunting me about my diet too, and all the things I can't have. Just look!

Lucy Kemp has had a boozy Wednesday.

Emma Simkins's summer veg pasta rocked.

Sarah Pike really should be all pizza'd out by now.

Rajinder Kaur Randhawa is eating a pie that she made a month ago for dinner thanks to the wonder of freezers.

Hayley Henderson was cooking pasta yesterday...NOT TODAY!!!!

Clair Terry is looking forward to many a blue cocktail with Kiki tonight.

Gemma Bull has eaten a ridiculous amount of chocolate fingers.

Nick Davies has been busted with the fruit and nut.

Trish Mohan has just made lettuce soup and eaten a huge bar of chocolate!

Jen Crothers warns, "Do not eat the Eat soup today."

Kate Blinkhorn is eating a rubbish lunch cause of the credit crunch!

John Ellis needs a mug of milk.

And those are all from the past three days! Oh, what I wouldn't give to be nibbling on one of Gemma Bull's chocolate fingers or slurping on Clair Terry's blue cocktail. Hell, even Auntie Trish's lettuce soup sounds quite appetising. Sigh. OK, so I'm just being dramatic - I'm actually feeling pretty great and have even just been swimming. I'd been going twice a week for the past month or so but hadn't been since starting the diet as I was worried I'd be too weak, what with surviving on 500 calories a day and all. But it turns out I feel fine. In fact, I feel energetic - which is annoying, as it's nearly bedtime.

But first, I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that it seems EVERYONE is obsessed with food and drink, to the point that it's the first thing that pops into their head when Facebook asks them what they're doing right now. It's interesting that it's taken my own abstinence from conventional food for me to notice that. Actually, maybe it isn't interesting, but I just think it is because I have no real life other than this diet at the moment. Hmm, worrying. Whatevs, I'll embrace it - I was reading something similar on lighterlifecommunity.co.uk (which I'm now more addicted to than Facebook), basically saying how people doing this diet really notice other people's eating habits at work, in restaurants, at family dinners etc, and it makes them re-evaluate their own approach to food. I guess people's food and drink related status updates are just a virtual extension of this. I have to say though, pre-diet, if I had been scoffing, I'd be very unlikely to mention it on Facebook, as I'd probably be ashamed of it. Interesting. I wonder what that says about my attitude to food compared to "normal" people who mention it so casually?

I'll be watching you, you greedy piggies.

1 comment:

Mrs Haines said...

Ah yes, I realised that after I commented on your status, my own was food-related. I should have changed it as it felt like a cruel things to have on there, given that you may look at my profile.

It's interesting what you say about watching other people's habits. Watch people in groups - if one person eats something, it sparks off lots of other. A bit like when a smoker lights up and then everyone else does. It's amazing how other people's behaviour influences your own, even subconsciously.

On the plus side - you are free from this boring food monotony. Buy food, cook food, eat food, but more food, go out for dinner, don't cook new food, throw food away, buy food and repeat to fade.

It's so exciting to think of all the time and money you're saving and how productive you'll be because of it.

I noticed it myself - and my juice fast was only ten days long!